The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A review of the new Tahe Greenland boat - Daniel style ;O)




Youtube

I took a Tahe Greenland (LC?) out today for a test paddle and was equally surprised, disappointed, and delighted.

It's too short and too flat bottomed, the fibreglass around the coaming lip seems a bit fragile ...and the seat wobbles. That's the bad news.

I paddle an East Greenland styled kayak so I've a different perspective. I was hoping that 17'10" of skinny boat would be speedier than it was. It accelerates nicely but grows sluggish and paddles heavy if I try to get some speed out of her. I'd like to see her a foot longer, an inch narrower, and with a more pronounced V in the bottom - for what I'd like her to do of course.

Good news? It's a really fun boat to putz around in. Rolling it is a no-effort affair. For a low volume boat it is quite comfortable, especially with my long, skinny legs.

Price: Can't be beat! They're selling these things at a VERY low price. $2700 CN for the standard fibreglass layup. The carbon-fibre gets pricey at $4900 CN, and for the five pounds it saves, and complicated repair issues, it'd be pretty hard put to justify.

Didn't seem to be bothered too much by broaching waves, although the biggest waves I could find were from the whale-watching boats off the end of the Breakwater.

The skeg is BIG, with it down I couldn't get her to turn. Period.

Fibreglass layup looked good, there was a odd crackling noise from the coaming when I picked her up and put her down. Rear decklines were well placed, front decklines worked fine but I would have liked an extra run of cord in front of me to hold long, bulky gear like pumps. The Kajak Sport hatches are really good, much easier to put on, easier to visually check, and more secure than some of the heavy-duty British Boat's rubber hatches.

For those not used to paddling with knees closer together it may take some getting used to. I'd be tempted to put in a proper Maasik, and toss the footpegs and seat for foam blocking.

She rolls with sublime grace. A strong-point in my books.

Bow rudders are easy and instant. It takes nothing to get her to spin on a dime. Edging, like my regular ride, is a fine balance. With no real hips to her she can turn either way on an edge, or at least on anything less than a precisely positioned edge.

I like her, because she's the closest thing to a full-on, production Greenland kayak that I've come across. She's bulk-headed, and fibreglass, and all those other things that make a guy feel secure when he's on his own and miles from anywhere.

I could realistically guide and instruct from it.

Did I mention it's cheap?
~d

No comments:

Post a Comment