The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Brentwood Bay and Pool Session

I'm feeling pretty damn pleased (and a bit achy) but I'm now able to keep that K1 shell upright and even managed to do a few lengths of the pool, forward and backwards in it without it throwing me. Took me six hours of non-stop high-sculling to get to this point. Without a doubt this is the finest (in both senses of the word), most beautiful, hull I've ever placed my butt in/on. This is also the most unforgiving beast I've ever ridden. Although it feels like I could paddle her with a feather, one slight mis-stroke and I'm instantly tossed out into the water, with an entire kayak, full of water, half-floating beside me. I'm wanting a removable massik, a spray skirt, and a well-built sea-sock if I'm going to keep learning with her. Floodable volume... reduce, reduce, reduce.

She's designed for a paddler 20kg heavier than me, so it feels like I'm dancing on a razor's edge as the waterline beam is VERY narrow as she sits high in the water. I'm planning, ?hoping, I can get to the point that I can throw her around empty as she'd be beautiful with a 20kg gear load, OR a partioned and baffled 10 liter ballast tank of fresh-water built along her keel and 10kg of gear. ;O)

Just an idea though, as she's not even mine... yet.

Kirton Kayaks Moskito 85 K1 Racer





This Sunday was spent out on Brentwood Bay with a group run out to Senanus Island, and later a second splish-splash up Tod Inlet. Six hours.

Pool session was another two hours.

Time on water - 8 hours (over three outings)
Time volunteer guiding - 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment