The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Playing in Baynes Channel

Got on the water in time to find some tide race action in the mouth of Baynes, off Ten Mile Point. Paddled out past the mouth of Cadboro Bay to watch the sailboats racing. Then hopped over to Cattle Point, Willows Beach and then off to Fiddle Reef to catch the wind waves and current back to Smuggler's Cove. Not sure why sailboats think it's okay to run across the bow of kayakers, second time this happened. He missed me by 20 feet, and I had to stop and back-paddle against the 2 knot current to keep from being swept under him. Grrrrr... as he passed he was close enough to hear me tell him to read his regulations.

There were some nice surfable standing waves in the mouth of the channel, and when a big cruiser came through at a slowish pace he put up a pretty nice wake to play on, and when it combined with the tide race the standing waves... stood! WooHoooooooooo!

Nice way to spend my Sunday. Tonight I have another Pool session. I'm teaching a rolling class for the local club.

Time on water - 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment