The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 13, 2009

First update on my summer on Slow Boat Farm

Well it's been an incredible time...

I've earned my two star BCU award and will be going for my three star June ?24. These BCU awards are plenty tough. Did an eight hour night solo night paddle up the Colombia a day (2?) after the full moon but the moon was plenty big and plenty bright. I traveled some serious distance, up past the nuclear power plant on the Oregon side and to a point where I could see Longview... this river has some serious moods!

Thinking afterwards maybe cruising past a nuclear power plant at 2am in the dark of night with no lights might not have been the smartest thing to do... but I thought it was a mill... and WHAT a paddle it was!

Went out to Wakiki beach (WA) for m two star assesment and found it very challenging. Ginni doesn't cut anyone slack and takes the certification process VERY seriously. Of the four people being assesed I was the only one to get it and there were some very competent paddlers out wit us that day!

Ginni Callahan is a VERY cool lady, and an incredibly talented paddler, not to mention my vote for Queen of the Surf! (She's feeding me chocolate brownies at the moment so I thought I better give her a plug ;O) We went out today today to Cannon beach and spent the entire day surfing 2-3 foot waves... lots of fun and I was rolling under the incoming waves, bongo sliding, and caught two of the most incredible rides!!!

That's it! I'm hooked on surfing as well...

Been paddling almost every day since I got here and I'll be off tomorrow and Wednesady to harvest the garlic and do a farm work... time to get it in before the rain starts rotting it in the ground.

...anyways I better get off here as she needs to get her computer back so that she can get her work done before bed...

Long day and we're both feeling pretty exhausted.

Updates soon!

~d

No comments:

Post a Comment