The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, April 10, 2009

Cattle Point and Portage Inlet

Whoosh... lotta paddlin' yesterday.

Met ~N for a paddle off Cattle Point and a saunter around Cadboro Bay. Beautiful day to be on the water, with a mild breeze from the North, enough sun to stay warm but not enough to make it too warm. Sure feels great being back in 'Tassie' again... almost felt like I was cheating on her when I was paddling the K1. Still deciding on a name for it... at this point 'Humble Pie' is the most fitting.

Thanks my friend, really enjoyed the outing.
Time on water - ?3.5 hours

Full Moon at Midnight paddle.
Couldn't let a full moon, really high tides, and oddly warm night temperatures go to waste so I went for a second paddle on Portage Inlet... the recent high tides flushed it out nicely. Due to exceptionally high water levels I was able to get a long ways up both the rivers that feed into it. I ended up doing a complete circumnavigation of the entire inlet and the Gorge down to Tillicum Bridge and back. Nice currents flowing in under the bridge so I took the chance to practise ferrying across the current and back-eddies, many of which were sharply shearing in opposite directions. Great place to practise!

Worked on my sprinting and endurance and gave myself times where I could settle down into a touring pace. Tried to keep my knees off the braces as much as possible and maintain balance through my butt cheeks. Really helped me get that nice smooth, powerful stroke, vertical along the hull.

Full moon showed it's face a few times through the wee hours, often surrounded by a glowing halo of clouds.
Time on water - 5.5 hours.



Time on water (two outings) - 9 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment