The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, March 26, 2010

Neah Bay

Spent day at Makah Tech Center, catching up on emails and the blog. Launched yesterday at 1700 for the short paddle to Koitlah Point. Found a beautiful little sandy beach, hidden behind a reef and great pillars of stone.





Note to self - sandy beaches aren't what they seem around here, they're usually sandy because they're protected by great rocky shelves of reefs.



Waahdah Island, just off Neah Bay is beautiful. Lots of reefs on it's outside and guarding the entrance to Neah Bay. Beware the breakers on the reefs - I decided to have an end of day goof around session on the waves spilling over the reef, got too close and was sucked in to the void as a big wave built.. It crested on top of me and pulled me back and forth over the reef a few times. Two rolls later I managed to get myself upright, and paddle away unhurt - and wiser... I can be such a dummy sometimes.



Neah Bay is a pleasant fishing town on Makah land.

the marina is home base to a fleet that fishes the rough waters of the 20 miles south of the Cape, all the way to the Canadian border. This is big water and hats off to these men and women. Washburn's General Store - 1902, serves this community and the others nearby, including Sekiu.



Looks like a big storm coming in Sunday, better check my weather resources. Looks like a big weather system is getting ready to hammer the coastso I'm going to try and get up really early and make the twenty mile dash around the Cape to Shi Shi Beach before things get ugly. Looks like a 5 hour paddle - all in one go. I can ride the storm out on the other side quite happily while I explore the place. Though it's pretty here I'd really prefer to be stuck on the other side.



Early to bed early to rise. G'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment