The LBSB Expedition
...life with ~daniel~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, March 21, 2010

To Low Point

Bit slow getting camp packed up. Launched 1000ish arrived Low Point at 1300ish. Stopped for a break at Crescent Beach, very pretty and lots of good paddling in the area. Nice reef offshore made for some exciting tide-races and standing waves. Inside the bay is protected on the edges, with nice sandy beaches all around. When I came in on the west side an eagle flew off the rocks and circled overhead, as I approached the beach I saw another adult and two juveniles poking amongst the rocks.





Around the point, after launching, the water got a bit lumpy - three feet or so, and a sea-lion popped his body right up out of the water to get a good look at me.



Made it to Low Point today, not my intended destination of Pysha River but still a good twenty nautical miles of paddling so I'm happy. Did a bad-ass surf landing right on the point, sailing in on a big cresting wave to beached amongst barnacle covered, basket-ball sized rocks. The nylon has a few new scratches, and a superficial dent because of it but nothing too serious. Dumb idea coming in at the point when only moments before I'd passed a quiet little cove with smaller surf and smaller stones but I wanted to check if this was indeed the point by spotting the river. Too lazy to go back, and seeing those beautiful big cresting waves got my adrenalin pumping so hard I just went ahead and caught a big one in.



The sacrificial duct tape I've been putting on my keel peeled away twice today in great long streamers that I had to reach under my kayak and pull off.

No comments:

Post a Comment